Thursday, May 7, 2009

Your Science Lesson for the Day


So do you guys think the twins are identical? That's Adrian on the top and Julius on the bottom this morning when gettng dressed after the 9am feeding. The more time I spend with them, the more I think they very well could be identical twins. For those that don't know, the boys were considered "di/di" twins (dichorionic diamniotic). This is a fancy term that basically means that they each had their own amniotic sack and placenta. This is the safest type of twin pregnancy you can carry because each one essentially has everything that a single baby would have during pregnancy and they don't have to share anything to grow or develop. The thing about di/di twins is that they can be either identical or fraternal. By the way, I totally have to label the pictures AS SOON AS I TAKE THEM because I can't easily tell the boys apart. The pictures from the day they were born weren't labeled and I have no idea who is who--how terrible is that?!?

Now, for the science lesson! Fraternal twins occur when there are two separate eggs fertilized by two separate sperm. They share the womb during pregnancy and a birthday but are no more alike than two siblings born years apart. Some fraternal twins do look a lot alike, just like brothers that are two years apart might bear a strong resemblence to each other. Family history can play a role in fraternal twins--when you hear that "twins run in the family" that refers to fraternal twins. If you have boy/girl twins, they are always fraternal.

Identical twins occur when there is one egg and one sperm that split. No one knows what causes this split but it appears to be completely random. Identical twins share the same DNA and therefore end up looking alike. They can look slightly different at times due to weight differences, height differences, birthmarks, etc. Identical twins can end up being "di/di" depending on when the egg splits. If it is in the first four days after conception, each embryo develops it's own placenta. If it splits in days 5-10, the embryos end up sharing a placenta.

Julius and Adrian have the exact same hair and eye color. They share the same blood type, which is a (AB+). When you have twins that are the same sex, the question you get asked a million times is "are they identical?" and we don't officially know. We will have to pay $160 for a DNA test to confirm with certainty. What do you think?

By the way, I totally should have been taking a nap right now rather than carrying on about twin types. Oh well.

Enjoy more pics of Little A and Big J!

Here is Adrian!

And here is Julius!

And Julius giving you all a big smile!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

THey look so identical! But, honestly, our boys are identical - and they still have some little things that help tell them apart. Now that they are older, it is much easier to tell the difference, but there are still days I look at one, especially in pictures, and totally don't know who I am looking at!!
I can't believe how big they are getting right now! It is amazing! Loves!!

Aly Scott said...

I think you take science out of the equation and go with your gut and eyesight. Those two are identical! I don't think it's worth $160 for a test that is going to tell you exactly what I just typed. Identical....now where is my $160 bucks?! haha!
See you tomorrow. Love you guys!

Kelly said...

My mom asked if the boys have the same blood type. She said that if they have the same blood type, they are prob identical. I am sure you already have looked at that...but that is what she said. :)