Saturday, May 2, 2009

It's May already?!? Seriously???


What do you think--do we look alike?!?

Well, we are finally healthy. I got a lovely weekend visit from a nasty stomach bug after I had recovered from the bronchitis. It's just been one illness after the other for me and I'm convinced it's because my body is run down from the fun of a twin pregnancy coupled with extreme sleep deprivation!
My wonderful friend Heidi was our final Phase One visitor and stayed with us for a week. She called it Baby Boot Camp and was a total champ at changing diapers, burping, bottles, etc. by Day 2. She even mastered the swaddle technique! She was so helpful and it was amazing to get to spend time with her. We took the boys to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens and to lunch/shopping in Southlake.

Amare got his haircut again yesterday. His hair is always a matter of debate between us--I like the curls, Gyasi thinks they look sloppy when they get long. It WAS getting a little out of control so Gyasi took him to the barber shop to get it cut and it came out looking pretty good. Check out before and after...before with the mini-fro:

During the haircut (lollipops work wonders for distracting kids!):
After...so handsome!

Amare is 18 months old and relishing his role as Big Brother. He loves to kiss the babies and is now into tossing their finished bottles into the sink and shoving their pacifiers in their mouths. His vocabulary is growing every day. He can sing ABC's, count to ten, say please and thank you, and is starting to string words together ("hi babies," "night night mama," etc.) One of his favorite new phrases is "I'm a mess" which I jokingly asked him to say when cleaning him up after a messy meal. He has totally remembered it and now says it when his hands are dirty or things are messy! Here is an example of "I'm a mess" after eating baked beans:

Adrian and Julius are getting bigger every day. Gone are the newborn diapers and the newborn clothes--these big boys are in Size 1's and 0-3 month clothes! They are seven weeks old and are getting into more of a schedule. They are sleeping for a 4-5 hour stretch at night now but have entered a "spitty" stage where they are spitting up a lot. We go through tons of bibs now and it's frustrating to always have a half used burp cloth hanging off your shoulder--GROSS! Check out these pics I took yesterday of the twins chilling in their adorable new bibs from our friends Carly and Jason--super cute!


Gyasi and I are doing as well as can be expected given the chaos. Some days are harder than others. Having three kids under age two is definitely a challenge and our patience is tested daily (well, by the minute, really). There are times when the screaming won't stop and we have to give each other strength to not totally lose it. We are slowly learning what works and what doesn't. It's hard to not have time for each other or for ourselves. We would love to have a date night but it's tough to ask someone to come watch two newborns and a toddler--we struggle ourselves and they are our kids! We have some great friends who come over to help and we are so grateful for their support.
I'm most likely going back to work during the last week in May. At that point, all three boys will be going to the same daycare. The same teachers that took care of Amare when he was a baby will be looking after the twins! That is very comforting to me and makes the idea of returning to work much easier.

2 comments:

Newman Family said...

Julius and Adrian are getting so big! Brandon spits up too. He is actually on medicine for reflux which has helped somewhat.

Aly Scott said...

OMG! I have to get my hands on those twins! Look how cute they are with their bibs. They are just becoming little guys now! Amare is so handsome with his new haircut. I like that length! I have got to get the girls' hair cut. Things are crazy busy around here but I want to make time to get over there. Let's try and talk this week if possible. We've been thinking about you! Love all 5 of you!!
Aly, Derek, Grace and Ava