Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Our First Night as a Family of Five...

But first, my favorite photo of the twins to date--holding hands!

Well, we survived to tell the tale. After the longest hospital discharge process EVER, we finally left the hospital at 4pm on Monday afternoon. We were ready to leave at 1pm and ended up waiting for paperwork, prescriptions, and even a last minute MMR shot for me (really? I was at the hospital sitting around for four days and you tell me I need a shot five minutes before we are ready to walk out?!?). I mean, come on people--it's hard to time feedings and pain medications around travel time!

We decided to pick Amare up from school since we were right there--he was instantly excited to see a baby in the car next to him. Little did he know there was another baby behind him in the third row! We all got home and got everything unloaded. Amare was fascinated with his brothers, sitting down and kissing their heads, pointing out their noses, eyes, etc. It brought tears to our eyes to see our new family members getting aquainted with Amare. Julie was so awesome and had a roast cooking in the crockpot and a fresh plate of chocolate chip cookies waiting for us so dinner was pretty much set. We all ate together while the twins slept in their swings.
After dinner it became a little chaotic--Amare wanted to push the swings a little too hard, he wanted to touch them even though he had a runny nose and cough, he was throwing his ball at them, trying to climb into the swings, etc. Gyasi was trying to do the dishes and I was trying to keep Amare occupied but without hurting the twins.
Then the twins got hungry and it was time to feed them--of course, Amare was fascinated with that and wanted to get into the action. Picture this...I have two nursing babies and Amare is climbing on the couch looking at us...then Amare starts coughing and throws up all over us. I catch puke with my right hand and try to keep him from falling on all of us, Gyasi runs over with paper towels...all we could do was laugh. It was just so chaotic!
As expected, we were up all night with the twins between feedings, diaper changes (incuding getting peed on by each boy in the middle of the night), and general fussiness. Amare was up coughing most of the night as well. We finally all just gave up and everyone was wide awake at 5am. Gyasi made pancakes because hey, if you're going to have to be awake, you might as well have a good breakfast!
THAT was our first night...how in the world will we survive a lifetime of these types of crazy nights with three kids under the age of two?!?





6 comments:

Aly Scott said...

Trust me, you'll make it. It's going to be hard in the beginning but once you get your routine down it'll be easy! Everything you do the very first time is hard but then you get the hang of it and it just becomes normal. If anyone can do it, it'll be the 2 of you. I'm cheering for ya and you know you can call me anytime. Love you guys!!
BTW, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo of the twins holding hands. CUTE!

Aly Scott said...

Big props to Julie...what an awesome friend!!

Kelly said...

Oh Miss! What a first night memory in the making! I can just imagine! You guys are going to do such an amazing job! I love the pictures, and hearing about the daily life with your new family of 5! :) Love you guys!!!

Kelly Thames Priebe said...

Dear Missy and Gyasi,
Congratulations!!!!! Kasey sent me the blog site and I am so happy to see the pictures of you and the babies! I am so happy for you!!! It is apparent from the photos that you have a wonderful, loving, adorable family and you are in for the time of your lives! Thanks for letting me take a sneek peek! Congrats again,
Kelly Priebe

Unknown said...

Congrats guys!!!

Unknown said...

ferretx is Dave Kruse. Sorry about that. COngrats again.