Sunday, October 14, 2007

Amare in our arms!

Today was a great day for Amare. He is now 100% off of the sedation medication and is now 100% off of the respirator! The goal tonight is to wean him from the blood pressure medication and hopefully by tomorrow morning he will be totally off all of those medications. The final step in his journey to full health is to work on feeding. They will start that tomorrow and use a tiny bit of breast milk through his tube directly into his stomach--they will watch him carefully to see how his stomach handles digestion. Up until now, he has gotten all of his "food" through IV's directly into his bloodstream so that his stomach didn't have to work at all and he could focus all of his attention on fixing his lungs. Now we'll confirm that his stomach can handle the food and will work on getting him up to speed via the bottle and breast. I really think he will come home this week!
The best part of today was when they told us he was doing well enough to come off the respirator and that we could hold him. It was very emotional for both of us--this was the first time we held or really touched him since he was born on Tuesday. He still had a few small tubes but what a great feeling to finally hold your baby in your arms after this long ordeal! Dad held him first--his first time being really held by a person since they took him to the NICU on Tuesday. I held him for about 20 minutes and loved every minute of it. This was one of the big steps we have been waiting for. The next big step is feeding and the biggest step is coming home.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm so happy for both of you and am so glad to hear he is progressing so well! I can't wait to visit and get to meet Amare. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Janice said...

You look soooooo happy holding your precious baby!!!!! I will be praying.

Unknown said...

wonderful, wonderful news! i've been thinking of you all day and am so glad to hear you finally got to hold your son again. we're pulling for you in WA!

Jessica Smith said...

This blog is great. We are so happy to hear that Amare is making good progress. He'll be home soon.

Unknown said...

Awwwe Missy! I am so happy for you guys! The minute I opened the link and saw the pic I yelled for Khary to come see. This is what we all have been praying for. Come on little Amare! We love you guys!

Grandma Gina said...

I am sooooooo happy for you Miss and Gyas. I am so glad you can now cuddle him in your arms and he can feel you so close to him. You guys are simply amazing! Amare has the best parents in the world. I am so proud of both of you. You've handled this situation so wonderfully and you even found time to keep us informed. God continues to bless you and Amare will be home very soon. See you tomorrow. Grandma Gina (GG)

Aly Scott said...

OMG! This is the best news I've heard today. You guys are doing great and Amare looks perfect in your arms. Keep the updates coming! Glad you started the blog. Love you, The Scott Family

Kelly said...

Yeah! I am so happy that he is getting better and will be home with you guys soon! I'm sure that getting to hold him was the greatest feeling! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

OMG, he is so adorable! I think he looks like Gyas. You guys are just amazing and Amare is such a trooper! I'm so happy he's improving so steadily. Thanks for the blog, it's a blessing to be able to keep up with your family ^.^