Thursday, October 11, 2007

Update on Thursday night

Hi everyone. Wanted to provide a quick update on Amare. He's still holding strong and we're so proud of him. They did a chest x-ray and the doctor noted that they are seeing a little improvement in his lungs--it appears he is responding well to this special breathing machine so that is very encouraging! The other big development is that he is moving on to a new type of IV fluid that actually contains minerals, vitamins, and other food-like elements. Before he just had a more basic fluid IV as his food source. We're hoping that this new type of nourishment will continue to help him heal and push this fluid out of his lungs.
Gyasi and I are learning that progress is gradual and we have to keep timelines in perspective. It's hard to believe that he was only born two days ago and has only been in this NICU since yesterday afternoon. It seems like an eternity to these new parents. We are exhausted and feeling a bit overwhelmed but our friends and family have been wonderful--you have no idea how much those voicemails, emails, texts, food runs, etc. mean to us. It helps more than you'll ever know.
We will continue to update this and post pictures. Try not to be scared by all the tubes...we were initially but now see them as helpful and look forward to them being removed one by one!

5 comments:

Janice said...

Missi Gyasi and Amare,
You are in our thoughts and prayers! Thanks for the updates! What a beautiful boy!
~Rhiannan

Unknown said...

You guys all look great...what a little trooper! I can't wait to meet him! Call/text me soon, James and I are always thinking about you guys! He says congrats! xoxo Krissy

Lynn said...

Missy and Gyasi-
What a beautiful baby boy!
We appreciate the updates. We are keeping you in your thoughts and prayers...
Love to all of you - Aunt Lynn

Kelly said...

Hi guys!
Thanks so much for sending this update. You guys are being so strong! We have all been thinking about you constantly. I am so glad to hear that things are progressing with Amare and I can't wait to meet him. I'm sure you'll all be home in no time!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hugs and Kisses to all 3 of you, I know the wonderous joys of having little men in my life!!! He'll be all about mommy Missy so don't get suckered in too quickly :) and daddy Gyas, what can I say - Enjoy your pride and image, he's got your eyes for now.
Ster and Wyn say hello too and we'll be making a trip out to TX, so let us know when you guys get settled.
Lov the Kings.